Friday, June 11, 2010

Recipe #37: Clam Chowder in Sourdough Bread Bowls

Well, this is definitely NOT a healthy recipe, but we decided we can be bad every once in awhile to reward ourselves for working out and eating better over the past couple months. This recipe is from my Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade cookbook, which is one of my favorites. It was fun to make and really hearty.

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion, minced
3 tablespoons dry vermouth
1 can (6.5oz) chopped clams in juice. (NOTE! I used 2 cans!! I recommend this!)
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Sugar
1 can (10.75oz) cream of potato soup
Round sourdough bread loaves- center cut out to make a bowl
Croutons
Parsley

Nick's precision work cutting out the bread bowls:


DIRECTIONS:

In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in vermouth. Bring to a simmer and allow vermouth to reduce slightly.

Strain clams, reserving juice (only ONE of the cans if you're doubling the amount). Add clam juice to the pan. Bring to a simmer and allow juice to reduce slightly. Add cream; reduce by half. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar. (NOTE: I plan on omitting the sugar next time. I'd rather have a saltier than a sweet flavor) Add potato soup; Bring to a simmer.

Add clams and cook until just heated through. Serve in sourdough bowls and top with croutons and parsley. (I used dried parsley because I didn't have any fresh)

No comments:

Post a Comment