Thursday, September 8, 2011

Recipe #124: French Onion Soup

I've been wanting to make this for so long because it's by far one of Nick's favorite foods, but it took me forever to remember to get to the store to buy big enough ramekins for the oven-safe broiler part.  Nick approved of the soup and I loved how well the bread held together... can't wait to make this again!  It makes about enough for four people when I used 16oz ramekins, but it would be plenty easy enough to double this recipe for more.


INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup (1 whole stick) unsalted butter
4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (I then quartered them so it would be less sloppy)
Salt and ground pepper (I didn't even need pepper)
5 cups brown broth (I used beef)
2 bay leaves
1/2lb Gruyere cheese (I used mozzarella on the soup, and Jarlsberg on top)
4-6 slices french bread, 1/2inch thick, toasted golden brown (I used italian and it was a great texture)

DIRECTIONS:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.  Add the onions, season with salt, stir to coat well with the butter.  Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender but not yet browned, about 20 minutes.



Uncover, raise the heat slightly, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions turn a deep caramel brown, about an hour.  Take care to not let them burn.  (I did this for about 45 minutes or so)

Add the stock and bay leaves (I also added less than a cup of red wine!!), raise the heat to medium, and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes longer to blend the flavors.  (I did this for about 20)

Preheat the broiler.

Discard the bay leaves.  Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.  (I didn't need to!)  Place heavy, flameproof serving crocks or bowls on a rimmed baking sheet.  Ladle the soup into the crocks, and sprinkle a little of the cheese onto the soup.


Top with the bread slices.


Top with the remaining cheese. 


Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, a few minutes.  Serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment