- 2 small acorn or sweet dumpling squashes (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 (4-ounce) links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 ounce Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Place whole squashes in a roasting pan. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until just tender. Let stand for 15 minutes. Halve squashes. Scoop out seeds; discard.
- 3. Preheat broiler to high.
- 4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan; drain on paper towels. Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- 5. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in sausage, rice, and next 5 ingredients (through Parmesan). Divide rice mixture evenly among squash halves. Sprinkle evenly with Swiss cheese. Arrange squash halves on a baking sheet; broil 4 minutes or until golden and cheese is melted.
The filling before being piled into the squashes