Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Recipe #290: Braised Chicken with Kale

Finally, a new recipe made recently (tonight!)  I went to the store with no clue what I'd like to make, and I just bought a few things that grabbed my attention- whole chicken legs (thigh and drumstick) and kale.  I went online to find a recipe and this one was PERFECT!  I had everything on hand, plus my new purchases, and it turned out delicious.  The chicken is very moist and the kale still maintains a good texture despite all of the cooking.  This is from Cooking Light's website.


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided  (next time, I'm using all butter- I set off my smoke alarm!)
  • chicken leg quarters, skinned  (I didn't notice the skinned part and left that on)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
  • garlic cloves, chopped
  • (16-ounce) package cut prewashed kale (I used two whole heads of kale)
  • (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (I used unflavored)
  • (14.5-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth (I used mostly Chardonnay)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Directions:

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
  2. 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil. Sprinkle the chicken with black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place flour in a dish, and dredge chicken. Place 2 leg quarters in pan, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining 2 leg quarters. Remove from pan.
  3. 3. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add garlic; cook for 20 seconds. Add half of kale; cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining half of kale; cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; stir in vinegar. Serve chicken over kale mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment