Friday, March 19, 2010

Recipe #23: Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

This recipe did not disappoint. It's very hearty and has the perfect flavor, and is really cheap to make. This comes from my favorite cookbook, Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast Fix Family Favorites.


INGREDIENTS:

1 store-bought roasted chicken
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
4 cans (14oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cans (10 3/4oz each) Campbell's condensed mushroom soup with roasted garlic
2 teaspoons fines herbes
Salt and ground black pepper
2 cups egg noodles, cooked

DIRECTIONS:

1. Remove skin and bones from roasted chicken. Shred. In a 3.5 to 4 quart slow cooker, place chicken, onion, celery and carrots. Stir in broth, soup, and fines herbes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 8-9 hours.

3. When soup is done, stir in cooked egg noodles and heat thru. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve hot.



MY CHANGES:

1. Instead of using fines herbes, which I couldn't find in the spice section of the grocery store, I instead used herbs de provence, which was right on in flavor.

2. I cooked an entire bag of egg noodles instead of just two cups.

3. Since there was no more room in my crock pot, I instead added the soup to the noodles, which I'd cooked in a big pot to accommodate the combining of the two.

Also, if you don't like mushroom soup, I'd suggest possibly cream of celery in its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment