Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recipe #94: Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers

Now, not everything I make comes out how I want it to.  This recipe had one problem- green peppers tend to be on the bitter side, especially once cooked, and the slow cooker really brought that out this time.  Next time I try this, I'm going to use red bell peppers or 6-7 cubanelle sweet peppers.  Otherwise, this is a fantastic recipe, and the filling is sooo good and hearty, which is why I think it deserves a blog.

 
INGREDIENTS:


1 package (about 7 ounces) Spanish rice mix (the box kind with a seasoning packet) *see note at end
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup diced celery (we used more)
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
4 medium green bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cored and seeded *I recommend trying other kinds
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 cup water (I used chicken broth instead)

DIRECTIONS:

Set aside seasoning packet from rice.  Combine beef, rice mix, celery, onion and egg in a large bowl.  Divide meat mixture among pepper halves.

Pour tomatoes with juice into slow cooker.  Arrange filled pepper halves on top of tomatoes.  Combine tomato soup, water/broth and reserved rice mix seasoning packet in a medium bowl.  Pour over peppers.  Cover; cook on LOW 7-8 hours.

*Note:  I couldn't find the Spanish rice mix I wanted, so I used a box of Uncle Ben's rice that had a sundried tomato and basil flavoring, and it was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment