Sunday, July 3, 2011

Recipe #118: Garden Pasta

I made this dish a long time ago, before I had this blog, and I'm wondering why I waited so long to make it again.  It's a really light, fresh tasting summery pasta.  I found this recipe in one of my Rachael Ray cookbooks.


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock (a couple of splashes)
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
  • Coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
  • A handful of flat leaf parsely, chopped
  • 1 pound penne rigate, cooked until al dente  (I think I used 12oz instead- it was plenty)
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
DIRECTIONS
Heat a deep skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic and sauté, until the garlic sizzles. Add the zucchini, onion, carrot, and bay leaves. Cover and cook, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the zucchini is tender and onions are translucent. Remove the cover and add the stock. Stur up any good gunk from the bottom of the pot. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and parsley and bring to a bubble. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until ready to serve. Combine the sauce with the pasta and garnish with chopped scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment