So excited this weekend.... got three new cookbooks for dirt cheap- one vegetarian, one for the grill, and one with 3-4 ingredient meals. Here's one from the vegetarian book, and I loved it. Straight out of Better Homes and Gardens, 365 Vegetarian Meals comes a very flavorful but simple recipe!
1lb asparagus spears (Nick doesn't think you need this much, so maybe .75lb?)
8oz dried multigrain linguine
1tbs olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 8oz package fresh button mushrooms or similar, halved or in chunks
1/4c dry white wine or chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1 tablespoon butter (or vegan alternative)
1/4c shredded fresh basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1. Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus and cut into 1.5inch pieces. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and black pepper; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add asparagus, mushrooms, wine/broth, and salt to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered for 4-6 minutes until asparagus is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
5. Add cooked pasta to vegetables in skillet; toss gently to combine. Top with basil and crushed red pepper.