Saturday, March 9, 2013

Recipe #213: Pressure Cooker Beef Bourguignon

Sometimes I have to learn things the hard way.  My last (and first) pressure cooker recipe said to release the pressure quickly, so I did, and everything was fine.  This one didn't specify and I was getting hungry, so I tried the same, which ended up with a steamy sauce all over the ceiling, stove, cabinets, floor, and my feet.  It was worth it though... and I learned my lesson.  Anyway, this was really good and hearty, tastes like pot roast but you don't have to spend hours cooking it.  The meat fell apart.


INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon oil
3lbs stew meat, cubed
2 large onions, chopped
4 large carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 parsnips, sliced
Salt and pepper
2 cups red wine
1 bay leaf
5 sprigs parsley
2 cups water
1 beef stock cube
1 rounded tablespoon cornflour

DIRECTIONS:

In a large pressure cooker, heat oil over high heat.  Add meat and brown on all sides for a few minutes.  Add the onions, garlic, carrots and parsnips.  Add salt and pepper and mix well.

Pour in red wine and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the bay leaf, parsley, stock cube and water, then close the pressure cooker.  Cook for 1 hour.

When themeat is cooked, remove bay leaf and sprigs of parsley.

In a small bowl, combine a few tablespoons of the cooking juices with 1 tablespoon cornflour.  Mix well then pour into the pot.  Thicken over low heat for a few minutes.  Garnish with some parsley and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment