Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Recipe #225: BBQ Ribs


I love my grill.  I grill nearly every day that the weather will allow.  Beef, pork, chicken, fish, lamb, veggies, fruits.......somehow up to this point I hadn't tried ribs yet, and on a whim and without a chosen recipe, I bought some at the store.  I hunted down this awesome recipe on the always-awesome allrecipes.com, which I chose for its rave reviews.  I was delighted that I already had all of the other ingredients except an onion.  I knew that it being a 2-day process, these would turn out great since all of my recipes that take a long time are definitely worth the wait.  I wouldn't change anything about this recipe unless you want it to be more spicy- then I'd add some hot pepper spice to it.  The sauce already has a little bit of a kick but it's also sweet.  I had to wash my face after- there's no elegant way to eat ribs!



INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds baby back pork ribs (I used about 3lbs)
4 cloves garlic, sliced (my changes are in the directions)
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I had light brown)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons onion, chopped (I used onion powder)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 clove crushed garlic (my changes in the directions)
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Scatter 4 cloves of sliced garlic over ribs. Cover, and bake for 2 1/2 hours. Cool slightly.  (Instead of garlic, I used black pepper and garlic powder)



2.
In a small bowl, mix together white sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and ground cumin. Rub spices over cooled ribs. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

3.
In a small saucepan, mix together brown sugar, cider vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, onion, dry mustard, and 1 clove garlic. Simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 1 hour. Reserve a small amount for basting; the remainder is a dipping sauce. (I used minced garlic, seen in the below pic as yellow pieces, instead of the clove)

4.
Preheat grill for medium heat.

5.
Place ribs on grill. Grill, covered, for about 12 minutes, basting with the reserved sauce, until nicely browned and glazed. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment