Monday, March 2, 2015

Recipe #314: Braised Chicken and Brussels Sprouts

This is definitely going into my regular rotation.  It's is a Martha Stewart recipe that I modified based on what I already had in the kitchen, and I love how it turned out- I would keep my version of the recipe for next time.  Feeds two and is an easy but delicious one-pot meal.  I made this in my French pot, my favorite cooking tool in the kitchen!


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces  (I used four bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced  (I used a bunch of minced garlic)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard  (I used whole grain mustard that I bought in Paris!)
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In batches, cook chicken until browned, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, then add brussels sprouts and shallots to pan. Saute until golden brown, 3 minutes. Stir in mustard and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar and broth, return chicken to pan, and bring to a rapid simmer.
  2. Transfer pan to oven and braise until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Add cream to pan and swirl to combine; season with salt and pepper.  (I removed the chicken before adding the cream, and then spooned it over top once plated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment