Sunday, April 21, 2013

Recipe #218: Greek-Inspired Lamb Salad

I bought a pack of two little lamb grillers recently.  I'm not even sure now what the cuts are, but I snatched them up because they were cheap (normally I like the more expensive chops) and reminded me that for all of the lamb dishes I've made, I hadn't yet grilled the lovely meat.  I wasn't sure what I'd make at the time, but I bought them anyway.

This recipe is my own.  I made it up based on looking at several other recipes for ideas.  Nick said it tasted like a restaurant's entree salad.  The amounts are approximate because I threw this together without expecting to blog it, but it really was delicious.

INGREDIENTS:

The lamb:
1lb grillable lamb cut
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil

The topping:
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 large or 2 smaller tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cucumber, halved and sliced
Kalamata olives, to taste
Feta cheese, to taste

The dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Lemon juice, about 2 tbsp, to taste
Salt, pepper, to taste
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

And also salad greens.

DIRECTIONS:

Before grilling time, let the lamb sit out, with a light coat of olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Preheat grill on high heat.  In the meanwhile, put the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and feta in a mixing bowl.

Mix all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.  Drizzle some over the toppings in the mixing bowl and stir them to coat them with the flavors.

Grill the lamb to desired doneness, 5-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness.  When done, cut the lamb into strips.

Spread salad greens on serving plates.  Put topping on the greens.  Put lamb on the toppings.  Drizzle a little more of the dressing on top of everything.

Grilled lamb before cutting.  Mouth-watering!

The dressing and the toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment