Sunday, April 28, 2013

Recipe #220: Chicken Wild Rice Soup

I can't believe this is my 220th recipe!

I don't remember how I linked to this recipe, but the second I saw the picture, I knew I had to make this.  Maybe it was foodgawker.com, which has the most beautiful pictures (and then links to) recipes.  Check it out- it's really addicting.  This recipe is from http://www.rotinrice.com and makes a TON of soup.  I'm trying to find volunteers for leftovers AFTER I've already put some in the freezer and alotted more for lunches this week.  Very hearty and chunky and a little creamy.  My changes are in red.  This would be really good with leftover turkey, too.



Ingredients

1 cup (170g) wild rice (I used a box of Uncle Ben's wild rice without the seasoning packet)
¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil  (I used butter instead)
1 onions, chopped
2 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large stalks celery, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
¾ cup (115g) all-purpose flour
8 cups (1.9 liters) chicken stock (I used unsalted stock)
Salt and pepper
2 cups (300g) cooked chicken, cubed (I shredded a whole rotisserie chicken)
8 oz (225g) mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (or.... 10oz of baby bellas!)
1 cup (240 ml) half-and-half
½ cup (25g) chopped parsley  (I won't use this much next time)


Directions

Cook wild rice in 4 cups (960ml) of water for 45 minutes or until it fluffs up. Drain any remaining liquid left
in the pot. Set aside.  (The rice I used only needed to cook about 25 minutes, but I still used 4 cups of water, which kept it from burning- a problem I normally have)

In a large pot, add vegetable oil. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery until soften, about 3 minutes. Add
dried thyme and all-purpose flour. Cook and stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.

Pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil.

Add cooked chicken, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer for 10
minutes.

Add cooked wild rice and pour in half-and-half. Bring soup back up to a boil and allow it to heat through,
about 5 minutes.

Turn off heat. Stir in chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment