Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Recipe #229: Kale Chips

I have lots of vegetarian, vegan, and super-health-conscious friends who have mentioned kale in their posts on Facebook, but I was always skeptical that this thick dark green leafy veggie would actually taste as good as they raved.  Eventually, I realized that between my love for the burned leaves from the brussels sprouts I roast and the super-delicious grilled romano leaves I made recently, maybe I should try kale.

Today I was obsessing over new recipes and somehow stumbled across another kale recipe for these chips and thought, eh, what the hell.  Kale is.... well, just check this site for reasons why you should eat it.  I decided to take the plunge, and I'm so glad I did.  THESE ARE DELICIOUS.  They're like super fragile potato chips with more flavor.  I don't know how else to describe them.

Trust me.  Try this, even if you aren't into veggies or super healthy or whatever other reason you should try kale.  If you just want to eat something different and delicious, this is something to try.



INGREDIENTS:

1head green kale
1 tablespoons sunflower oil or coconut oil (I had sunflower and used that liberally.  Be light or the leaves will be soggy and not as crispy as the others with less oil)
Coarse sea salt

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet.

Wash and pat dry the kale leaves.

Tear the leaves off the stems.  If you make smoothies, save the stems for those.

Put all the leaves in a large bowl or two and drizzzle oil over them.  Toss to coat (I just laid them on the sheets and brushed oil on them)

Spread the leaves on the baking sheet, salt and bake for 20 minutes until crispy.  (THEY SMELLED DELICIOUS!)

Remove chips from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.  Don't try to take them off of the sheet too early or they will break.

Eat right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment