Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Recipe #230: Djaj Mqualli (Chicken, Olive, and Lemon Tagine)

I like making recipes influenced by other cultures and countries.  Here's one I found after linking to "North African" recipes on http://www.saveur.com/.... I'd made a tagine before (link here) with beef and sweet potatoes, but this was different with chicken, olives, and lemon.  My changes are noted.  GREAT flavor, super moist.  I didn't make anything to go with it (rice, flatbread, etc) but wouldn't change a thing.


INGREDIENTS

3 tbsp. olive oil
6 whole chicken legs (I used 4)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 large yellow onions, sliced
2 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground white pepper
2 tsp. ground ginger (I didn't have enough of this but it was still delish)
1 tsp. ground turmeric
½ tsp. crushed saffron threads
1½ cups chicken stock
6 oz. green olives, cracked
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
2 tsp. finely chopped cilantro
2 jarred preserved lemons, cut into slices  (I used one fresh lemon, sliced)

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat oven to 350°. Heat oil in an 8–qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to pot and cook, turning, until browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add onions to pot; cook until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add spices; cook for 2 minutes. Return chicken to pot with stock; boil. Bake chicken, covered, until tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Stir in olives, butter, parsley, cilantro, and lemons into pot, and cook for 6 minutes. Serve with rice or flatbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment