Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recipe #60: Roasted Veggie Salsa

My friend Tom has quite the productive garden, and he gave me a bunch of tomatoes that were destined for my first batch of 2010 salsa.  I found an interesting looking concoction on allrecipes.com while looking for a not-too-spicy salsa recipe.  Here it is, copied directly, with notes where I modified.  Also, I tried this while it was still warm, and it was good even then, kind of sweet from the roasted red onion and cumin.  I can't wait to try it cold tomorrow.

Ingredients

  • 12 roma (plum) tomatoes  (I used 8 early girls, because that's what I had)
  • 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled  (I forgot these and later added garlic powder.  Darn...)
  • 1 small onion, quartered  (Per suggestion from a site user, I used a red onion)
  • 1 jalapeno chile pepper  (I seeded this- we don't like hot)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro  (I used less- I'm not a big fan of cilantro)

Directions

  1. Preheat the broiler.
  2. In a medium baking dish, place roma (plum) tomatoes, garlic, onion and jalapeno chile pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
  3. Checking often, broil 5 to 10 minutes, or until outsides of vegetables are charred.
  4. Remove vegetables from heat. Remove and discard tomato cores, jalapeno stem and garlic skins.
  5. In a food processor, coarsely chop the charred vegetables. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in cumin, salt, lime juice and cilantro. 
NOTE:  To make things MUCH easier, cut the veggies in half and core them BEFORE putting them on the broiler, so you don't have to deal with the hot insides once they're done broiling.
I also added two godfather banana peppers (the long red ones) to the mix. 
 Ready for broiling...
 Blackened...
Prepped using my salsa maker
This makes life a bit easier
 

No comments:

Post a Comment