Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Recipe #48: Steamed Asian Dumplings

I love asian dumplings and pot stickers, so naturally I was excited to receive a bamboo steamer from my friend for my birthday... right away I knew that's what I'd use it for!

This isn't a very photogenic recipe, but it tastes fantastic. I liked using my steamer- I didn't even have to clean it because I lined it with parchment paper first.

INGREDIENTS:

Palm-ful of finely chopped chives, or dried chives
1/2 lb deveined, peeled shrimp, chopped into small pieces
1/4 lb ground pork
16 wonton wrappers
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp rice wine (I used regular wine)
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Dash of pepper
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp corn starch

DIRECTIONS:

In a bowl, mix the chives, pork, and shrimp well. In another bowl, add the ginger, wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper, sugar, and corn starch and mix well. Add the mixture to the pork mixture and combine well.

When using the wonton wrappers, be sure to cover them with a damp paper towel to keep them from drying out while you work on each dumpling. Also, cover the finished dumplings in their tray before you start steaming so they also don't dry out.

Prepare a bowl of water which will be used as "glue" for sealing the dumplings. First, wet your fingers and run it along the edges of the wonton wrapper. Next, spoon about 1 tsp of filling into the middle of the wrapper. pinch 3 of the corners together and roll the dumpling into the fourth corner and seal. Set on the steamer and repeat for the rest. I recommend lining the steamer with parchment paper.

All wrapped and ready for steaming....

Place the steamer on a pan of boiling water. Make sure the water doesn't touch the dumplings.

I put about an inch or less of water in the pan, and they steamed away...

Steam for 12 minutes. Once the dumplings are cooked, they should look translucent.

I served them with soy sauce. Nick ate a whole bunch- success!

Ok they don't look that pretty, but they're very flavorful...

No comments:

Post a Comment