Thursday, July 29, 2010

Recipe #51: Roast Beef with Peppers, Onions, and Potatoes

I feel kind of foolish for being excited about a simple roast beef, but I always like trying something new.  Be sure to not over-cook this one- it should be medium rare in the middle- because it dries out quickly.  It was excellent, and I bet the leftovers will be great.



INGREDIENTS:

5 mixed red and yellow bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1-inch-wide strips (I used 2 red, 2 yellow, and 1 green)
2 red onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch wedges (I only used 1 because I couldn't fit 2)
3/4 lb new white potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces (I used baby red potatoes)
5 garlic cloves, 3 left whole, 2 cut into 6 slivers each (I used more...)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2.5 lbs eye-of-round beef roast
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme (I also added some fresh thyme on top)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Place peppers, onions, potatoes, and whole garlic cloves on a large rimmed baking sheet.  (I used a casserole dish instead).  Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.

Using a paring knife, make 12 small slits in top and sides of roast; insert garlic slivers.  Move vegetables to sides of baking sheet.  Place beef in center, and rub with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.  Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and thyme; rub mixture over beef.  (I just sprinkled it all on...)

Transfer to oven; roast, tossing vegetables occasionally, until tender and an instant-read thermometer registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare, 40-50 minutes.  Let meat stand 10 minutes, covered loosely with aluminum foil.  Cut half the meat into very thin slices; serve with vegetables.


I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks (below).  I love it because every recipe has a picture.  Sometimes I pick a recipe to try just because the picture looks great.

Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day (Everyday Food (Clarkson Potter))

3 comments:

  1. The food looks delicious and attractive. You are so generous to share your recipe that is why I feel like trying to make it. I hope it will have a good result. Anyways, Thank you. If you have time please visit my site.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. There are things in our life that is not eternal thus we stand still and never show weaknesses. This only means that we are strong enough to face everything either it is big or small. Visit my site for more good vibes and inspirational thoughts. Good day!

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you an imagine is real. Have a good day! Keep on sharing knowledgable ideas :)
    imarksweb.net

    ReplyDelete