Saturday, December 31, 2011

Recipe #150: Stuffed Mushrooms

I saw some tempting-looking stuffing mushrooms at the store the other day, so I picked them up (and no other ingredients) to make for a snack at some point.  Luckily, I found a highly-rated recipe on allrecipes.com that included ingredients I already had.  These were delicious and creamy, and definitely had a kick (I accidentally added more cayenne than I meant, so they were a little spicy).  It was also a relief that they were super easy to throw together too.  My changes are noted in red.



Ingredients

  • 12 whole fresh mushrooms (I had 15)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used a little less than 8oz)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Carefully break off stems. Chop stems extremely fine, discarding tough end of stems.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chopped mushroom stems to the skillet. Fry until any moisture has disappeared, taking care not to burn garlic. Set aside to cool. (Mine were still moist and hot, and it turned out fine.  I didn't feel like waiting for dry and cool.)
  3. When garlic and mushroom mixture is no longer hot, stir in cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Mixture should be very thick. Using a little spoon (I filled a ziplock bag with the mixture and cut the corner off to pipe the filling in:  MUCH EASIER!), fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing. Arrange the mushroom caps on prepared cookie sheet.  (I also sprinkled some cheddar cheese on top of each mushroom)
  4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven (I did 15 minutes bake, 5 minutes broil, I think that is necessary), or until the mushrooms are piping hot and liquid starts to form under caps.

No comments:

Post a Comment