Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Recipe #198: Herb-y Catfish

This is an adaptation of a recipe I found in a new set of little Swiss recipe cards I found for a dollar at a discount book store.  Any flaky white fish will do- just adapt the cooking times to the size of the fillet.  Adjust seasonings to taste as well.


INGREDIENTS:

2 large or 4 small white fish fillets.  I used 2 large catfish.
Salt and pepper to taste
Approx 1 shallot, chopped fine
1/2 stick butter
3 tablespoons mixed herbs (I used parsley, dill, and sage)
1/4-1/3 c dry white wine
Heavy cream, to desired thickness

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Season fillets with salt and pepper and set in a baking dish.  Saute shallots in butter for 2-3 minutes, then add mixed herbs and saute together.  Pour the mixture over the fillets and cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 5 minutes, then add wine.  Bake another 5 minutes, then uncover and bake until cooked through.  (These fillets took about 20 minutes total).  Remove from oven, and pour the sauce from the baking dish into a pan and reduce to about half, then add cream to desired consistency and heat through, letting thicken slightly.  Pour over fish.

(As a side, I sauteed yellow squash, zucchini, and baby bellas in butter with parsley.  Near the end, I added little chunks of bleu cheese and let them melt.  I overcooked this a little bit since I messed up the timing, but it still tasted really good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment